The Israeli army said it had uncovered the first of what it expects to be many cross-border attack tunnels dug by Hezbollah from Lebanon into Israel.
Following the 2014 war between Israel and Gaza, in which Islamist movement Hamas used cross-border attack tunnels, the army said it found "Hezbollah and Hamas share knowledge" and soon after began intensive work to prevent tunnels from Lebanon.
"The situation in UNIFIL's area of operation remains calm", Malene Jensen, a spokeswoman for the United Nations mission which monitors the border region, said in a statement.
The operation, approved by Israel's security cabinet on November 7, was launched "once the conditions were ripe", he said; before the attack tunnels pentrating into Israeli territory had become operational and "an immediate and direct threat to northern communities and army bases".
Al Mayadin, another Lebanese television network close to Iran and the Shiite movement, is also now ignoring the operation against Hezbollah's alleged tunnels in Israeli territory.
IDF Chief of Staff Gadi Eizenkot told reporters Tuesday night at a joint news conference with Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu in Tel Aviv that Operation Northern Shield is projected to last several weeks.
Lebanon's army also said it was monitoring the situation closely.
Army spokesman Ronen Manalis said the 200-meter tunnel started under a house in the Lebanese village of Kafr Kila and extended about 40 meters into Israel.
Migrant mother and child breach U.S. border
The child that suffered a facial injury was treated by border patrol agents, according to CBP. Although a few tried to escape, most walked over to the officials to turn themselves in.
President Donald Trump's national security adviser, John Bolton, said "the United States strongly supports Israel's efforts to defend its sovereignty".
The Times of Israel reported Tuesday that National Security Adviser John Bolton said that the U.S.
The military has used various means to collapse or fill in tunnels from the Gaza Strip. He said the USA calls on Hezbollah to "stop its tunneling into Israel and to refrain from escalation and violence". It said the army had boosted its presence and readiness and was prepared for "various scenarios".
He said the military "holds the Lebanese government responsible for all activities perpetrated in Lebanon towards Israel".
Netanyahu has spoken of a sensitive security situation without providing details, particularly after defence minister Avigdor Lieberman quit over a controversial Gaza ceasefire last month.
Conricus rejected suggestions of politics influencing the announcement.
Israel's Haaretz newspaper reported the Israeli military had information since 2006 that Hezbollah was trying to construct a network of tunnels from Lebanon into Israel. The move could spark tensions between Israel and the pro-Iranian Hezbollah militant group.